I think Groundhogs day is a strange holiday, yet since it is a holiday we must celebrate! So today the kids and I went to Walmart…YaY! Anyway, I did read this article and thought I would share because really, Phil is not at smart as some people credit him to be. Everything in parenthesis are my interjections.
Punxsutawney Phil 2010: Groundhog Sees Shadow . . . but Does it Matter?
Feb. 2, 2010
The groundhog saw his shadow, meaning we will have six more weeks of winter. (I really don’t understand why sun=shadow=winter, whoever started this really had it backwards sun should=spring)
Or so say the Groundhog's Day enthusiasts in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where thousands gather every Feb. 2 to see if a chubby woodchuck named Phil sees his shadow during a ceremonial event. (Do people really take this day off work to go to this ceremony, it’s not that kind of holiday)
According to the strange German tradition, if the hibernating groundhog sees his shadow, winter will last six more weeks. If not, spring will come early. (Strange and German say it all)
But the big question here is: How credible is Punxsutawney Phil? (That is a good question)
Given this 2010's brutal winter plaguing the nation's middle and eastern regions, it stands to reason that this winter might err on the long side.
Then again, according to a database compiled by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Punxsutawney Phil's guess over the past 15 years has been about as good as a coin toss. And yet, it was still better than Atlanta's less famous groundhog, General Beauregard Lee, whose accuracy rate is 31 percent. (Well thank you Phil for your hard work every year on our behalf, but really after 15 years I think you’d be a bit better at your job)
Source: HispanicBusiness.com (c) 2010. All rights reserved.
Well everyone, I hope you enjoyed your holiday as much as I did! Happy Groundhogs Day!

2 comments:
actually Jeremy and I were talking about groundhogs day the night before. I was saying how I love the movie, but we both felt it was kind of a pointless holiday especially because every year we get the same result...six more weeks of winter!
Heidi,
You have such a cute family. I love your little kids they have such cute personalities from what I read, I bet they are so smart! You look very happy I hope all is well.
Post a Comment