Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our First Ice Storm

The other day Justin said, "I think the worst of winter is over." I told him not to say that because it could curse us. I'm not saying that he did...but I'm not going to say that he didn't!
Early this morning both Justin and I got a text on our phones at the same time. I was really curious who would be texting us both at that hour. It was a text from the university canceling classes for the day. We were both a little confused because even when it had snowed 6 inches in one night the university remained open and snow wasn't even in the forecast for today. We didn't worry too much about it and rolled over and went back to sleep. When we woke up we realized that although it hadn't snowed--everything, and I mean everything, was covered in a layer of ice. It was raining really hard so it wasn't cold enough to snow but since the ground and everything else was so cold the water froze quickly. The roads were only slushy but as the day went on everything froze until the roads and our driveway became a sheet of ice.
Our first major storm this winter came the beginning of December and dropped at least 12 inches of snow and high winds causing us to stay in our house for 3 days. Then numerous cold fronts came through bringing cold temperatures with highs in the single digits and lows in the double digit negatives lasting for over 3 weeks. And now this nasty ice storm. UGH! This is the worst winter I have ever experienced in my life...and I don't like it at all! I am trying to endure it with a good attitude, but I'm pretty sure that when we finish school, I do not want to make Des Moines our permanent residence.
All that being said, Justin was able to capture some good pictures of what an ice storm may look like.


Our trash can



This is a power line that runs in front of our house. Every power line is just covered in icicles, it's pretty cool.



A tree in our backyard


Notice the icicles on our house and also the branches on our tree were so frozen they were really heavy. Throughout the day we would hear a really loud crack and look outside to see what it was. Branches were breaking off of trees. We ended up with three fairly large branches in our yard from neighbor's and our trees.

3 comments:

Janalee said...

HEIDI!!! you poor darling! cool pictures but I am sooo sorry that you have to live where it is that cold!!! It makes Logan look Tropical...sort of.:)

Jenny said...

I love ice storms, well as long as they don't bring down the power lines. They make everything look so beautiful. One year when I was young we had a bad ice storm that took out our power. We used our Kerosene heater for everything: cooking, cleaning, melting snow to wash our hair and for the toilets, heat - you name it. It was almost 20 years ago but I still remember it.

Amy said...

I am sick of winter too. Next thing we know it will be 100 and humid. We just can't win.