Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nauvoo

Nauvoo, Illinois was where the pioneers thought they would build their homes for the last time. After being persecuted and chased from their earlier sanctuaries, the saints gathered in Nauvoo building up a city they thought they would never leave. The Lord had other plans for the early members of His church, however, and eventually they were chased with hatred from their beautiful city, homes, and beloved temple. Although they had to leave everything they worked so hard to build behind, their time in Nauvoo was filled with community, joy, and hard work.

Today where Nauvoo once stood, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has restored and rebuilt the historic city. On the website it states, "Historic Nauvoo is a place for making connections.  To the past.  To those you love.  To yourself." When I visited there with my family in July I felt that connection in every way.

Historic Nauvoo is full of opportunities to make the connection to the past. As we participated in the activities, I often reflected on the pioneers and their lives. It was easy to feel the joy they must have felt in gathering together for fun activities. I was able to realize the hard work and busyness of everyday life they faced without the modern conveniences we have.  I could also the sense the hardships they must have faced in their trials brought on by their enemies.

Here's some pictures of us enjoying pioneer festivities:
Walking on Stilts
I was no good at this,  I couldn't even take one step without falling over.  Justin was much better!

Justin would have been a great pioneer, pulling us across the plains in the handcart.  Who needs clothes, food, tools, etc. when you can have a ride in a handcart! Kobe was an animal at the stick pull.  Kobe and Lily loved the puppet show, they kept begging to go back and watch it again!

The Oxen Ride
We did this 3 times because Kobe couldn't get enough of it.

Pioneer Pastimes
Don't they make the cutest pioneer children? Kobe's hat is adorable, Lily's is way too small!

The Stick Pull
After a stiff competition of stick pull against Kobe, Justin was anxious to test his strength against some "real" competition. Let's just say it didn't go as he had hoped.  After beating Jared the first time, he couldn't handle the heat or the stick, whichever!
The Girls
So I'm a wuss. I never won against anyone other than Kobe and Lily!

Kellie and Jessica were animals.  Click on the picture above to make it bigger so you can see their faces.  It was intense! In the end Kellie came off conquerer....Until....she came up against my mom.  There was no hope for her then. 

We weren't able to tour many of the places because the kids just wouldn't sit still or be quiet, which was a bummer, but the things we did were really fun. We had a lot of fun connecting to the past by playing like the pioneers played and visiting the places lived and worked.

There were many things we did that helped me make the connection to myself, my testimony, and my faith.

One of those things was the walk along the Trail of Hope, a pathway away from the city towards the Mississippi River lined with plaques containing quotes from early pioneers' journals as they began the journey west. It was sad to read the the feelings and experiences of the Saints as they left behind everything they had. Here are a couple that touched me.
  • “Our camp resounded with songs of joy and praise to God -- all were cheerful and happy in the anticipation of finding a resting place from persecution in some of the lonely, solitary valleys of the great interior basin whithersoever we might be led.” Orson Pratt  ~Even in such a trying time, they had such a good attitude know the Lord would take care of them!
  • “My last act in that precious spot was to tidy the rooms, sweep up the floor, and set the broom in its accustomed place behind the door. Then with emotions in my heart…I gently closed the door and faced an unknown future, faced it with faith in God and with no less assurance of the ultimate establishment of the Gospel in the West and of its true, enduring principles, than I had felt in those trying scenes in Missouri.” Bathsheba W. Smith
  • “…here we all halted and took a farewell view of our delightful city…We also beheld the magnificent Temple rearing its lofty tower toward the heavens…My heart did swell within me.” Newel Knight
As I read this plaque, Justin told me to look up and sure enough right there through the trees you could see the Temple.  I cried thinking how hard the saints had worked, how much they had given to build up a House of the Lord, only to leave it behind shortly after it was finished. Talk about sacrifice.

We were able to go to the Temple and do a session while we were there.  It was so beautiful! I admire the faith of the early members of the Church.

When we reached the end of the Trail of Hope there was a monument for all the people who had died while journeying west.  Here's the list:
So many faithful people. I know they were taken up to meet their Maker, but my heart aches to think of the sadness of the family they left behind. As I looked at the list I could only think of the many parents that lost young children and the many children that lost parents. But I know that they knew their families would be reunited again.

Once we left Nauvoo, we visited Carthage Jail where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed. As I toured the jail and listened to the event recounted, the Spirit testified to me that Joseph was a prophet of God.  He had done what he was called to do, restore the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints back to the earth.
 
My testimony of Jesus Christ was strengthened on this trip. He was the reason the saints and Joseph Smith suffered through all their trials with out giving up hope.  They knew that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ they would be able to return to live with Heavenly Father again if they would endure to the end and believe on Him. I too know this is true.  Our trials are different than the pioneers' but if we can all continue on in faith, and hope, keeping the commandments, we will see our Heavenly Father again.

2 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

I love all the great photos! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

Heather said...

It looks like you guys had a really good time. Thanks for the testimony you bore Heidi!