Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why Iowa?

Snow covered resort
When Justin got accepted into DMU I really asked, "Why Iowa?" There is nothing exciting about Des Moines. No reason anyone would want to come visit here other than the fact that we live here. And the winters I had heard were very cold and snowy. It is definitely living up to all of that! Up until yesterday, I had come to like it here. We live in a quiet neighborhood in a home we absolutely love, and we have found a lot of great things to do with the kids. You would think it was the ideal place to live.
Yesterday we woke up to snow, and it hasn't stopped snowing. Now we are stuck in our house because our car wouldn't even be able to drive down our street, which does not get plowed. The snow on our back deck is 2 1/2 feet deep (Justin measured because we didn't agree on how deep it truly was) I've even heard there are snow drifts 15 feet high.
Our car is not cut out for the snow. Even though our tires are not very old, our car slips around everywhere. Yesterday I was driving home after taking Justin to school and I could barely get up a hill on a street that does get plowed. After I made it up the hill I turned off that road onto our street and there was a small hill that I had never noticed before. I noticed it then because I couldn't make it up the tiny little hill. My tires kept spinning so I backed up and would go forward again to no avail. Eventually I had to back up into someone's driveway, turn back onto the plowed road and drive a back way to our house which took me around the treacherous hill on our street. After I picked Justin up from school a few hours later we had an even worse time getting home, since it had kept snowing and we had to try several different ways to get home before we safely made it. I had never realized how many different hills there are around here!!!
Ugh!!! Growing up in Utah, I hated winter! I don't like the cold, I don't like the snow, and I really don't like driving in the snow. Now here we are in "blizzard conditions" and I want to cry. "Why Iowa?" I ask myself again. I always thought I wanted to move back to Utah, but I don't know anymore!!! At least in Utah there is family, that may be able to outweigh the cold, snowy winters. But for now I will endure and I hope that when school is no longer canceled Justin is able to drive safely. For me, I don't think I will be leaving the house until the snow melts next June :)

3 comments:

Janalee said...

I think snow is fun as a kid, but then you get older and suddenly want to live somewhere there is no snow.... like california:)

Alicia said...

That sounds so fun! (not the part where you couldn't get home!) But just all the snow. I love it! But I am with you, I definitely don't like to drive in it. It is great until you have to venture out in to it.

TotallyContent said...

Ha,Ha I love the picture of the kids with Santa!! Way too cute. About the snow -- have a fun winter. ;)