Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Fabulous Fifties

Happy 50th Birthday Mom!  So I'm a little behind, but better late than never if you ask me! Earlier this year I found tickets to fly to Utah for $150 each with all taxes and fees included. It was such an awesome deal I couldn't pass it up. So I bought tickets for the kids and me to fly out in late October and surprise my mom for her birthday. As the day got closer my sisters and I decided we should plan an actual surprise party for the occasion. It was soooooo hard not to tell my mom how excited I was to come see her, and I didn't even tell Kobe we were going to see Grandma until the day before because I didn't want him to spill the beans! (Really Justin was the one I shouldn't have told because he almost ruined the surprise several times!)

The Preparations
We flew in on her birthday and my sister Kellie picked us up at the airport around 1:00pm and took us straight to my parent's house. Luckily my mom went to her institute class that afternoon and was going to be gone until 5:30.  We hurried to Walmart to buy all the food and some balloons then hurried back home to decorate and get dinner ready.  My dad had gotten off early so could make all the food. The whole family chipped in with game preparations, pot luck food items and decorations. The decorations were so cute, we decided to do a fifties themed party since she was turning 50. It just seemed to make sense!



I didn't get a picture of the real hanging records, but they were cute!

Jessica even ordered a record cake, but after we got it we all decided she could have done a better job...

The Surprise
When my mom finally got home we all gathered around the stairs. I stayed back because I really wanted her to seek the kids first. She walked in, we all yelled "SURPRISE", and she was shocked.  First she saw Kellie and said, "You're supposed to be at Young Women's tonight." (Kellies is a YW's leader) Then she saw Jeremy and said, "You're supposed to be in Logan." (That's where he and his family lives). My mom really was shocked to see everyone there.  She thought the only family coming on her birthday was Jessica's. She figured she would have a birthday dinner sometime the following weekend. About this time all the grandkids came running out of the toyroom and ran down the stairs to give Grandma a hug. She was still standing at the landing of the stairs holding a million shopping bags when the kids attacked her.  She was just talking about how surprised she was when all of a sudden she said, "Kobe, Kobe, What are you doing here?" SURPRISE!  I was so happy we could be there, her reaction was priceless I only wish I had taken pictures of it. Anyways onto the party.

The Party
After the initial shock wore off, Mom was able to come upstairs and the party started.  Josh had found some fun fifties music which was playing in the background and everyone had dressed up in poodle skirts, white T-shirts and rolled up jeans, class sweaters, etc. For dinner we ate hamburgers, hot dogs, and french fries. And for dessert we had cake and ice cream sundaes. The food was delicious!

The Games
After dinner we played a few games.  First was the Car Hop Relay.  This was HILARIOUS! The goal of the game was to make it through a complicated obstacle course while carrying a tray full of food without anything falling off the tray.  Anything that fell off added 10 seconds to your time and the fastest person won! Here's what the obstacle course looked like:

First you had to crawl under the air hockey table.

Then climb over the back of the couch. Luckily my parents' furniture has already been used and abused so they didn't mind us jumping over it!


Next up, tightrope walk across the bench. Then immediately drop to your knees and wind your way through the Luvsacs.


After darting in and out on knees, you must spin around three times on each stool.

Before crawling under the fooseball table.

And finally the time stopped when the tray was placed on the stool where the remaining items were counted.


I'm telling ya, it was INTENSE! 
VaLynn even stretched before she would even attempt the challenge.

Janalee changed out of her poodle skirt so she'd be ready, and she still struggled, just look at that face.

In the end I think I remember that Jared won. Go Jared!  The highlight of the game, for me, was when my brother Ron just tossed the entire tray over his shoulder and jetted through the obstacle course in about 10 seconds flat.  Good times, good times!

After the relay race we had a nice, calm bubble gum-blowing contest.  I don't think anyone really won. I guess we aren't very good bubble blowers, or the gum just wasn't very good!






After nobody won the bubble gum contest we played one final game. A hotrod blowing relay.  We split into two teams and each team member had to get their car to the other side of the table by blowing it through a straw and another teammate would blow it back. Whichever team got through all of their players first won.

I was HORRIBLE at this game.  It would be safe to say that my team lost thanks to me! After the adults, the kids had their own race, and they were all better at this game than I was!

After the games we sang "Happy Birthday" to the birthday girl, ate cake and ice cream, and the party was over. Boo hoo!
It was such a great party! Happy birthday Mom and Grandma. We love you!

No comments: