Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hooker Family Thanksgiving

This year we were lucky to have all of Justin's family come visit us in Iowa for the week of Thanksgiving. We really enjoyed the visit, and of course the kids loved the attention and being spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa.

 
Saturday Steve and Cindy arrived during lunch time.  The kids were sooooo excited to see Grandpa sticking his face up to the window.  After nap time and dinner we all went to Toys R Us so the kids could pick out their own early Christmas present from Gma and Gpa. Cindy's Grandma always let them go through a catalog every year and circle the toy they wanted for Christmas and since the kids are still a little too young to pick out an appropriate toy from a catalog she let them pick it out at the store. Kobe loved having so many options and Lily really didn't show much interest in anything. She's still learning what she likes!  Kobe picked out Toy Story 3 figurines and Lilian got a tea set.

 
When we got home the kids played with their new toys until we made them go to bed. After the kids were in bed the grown ups played games (which became a nightly ritual, bedtime=gametime). 

On Sunday we went to church and when we got home we all took naps until it was time to get Aunt Jasmin!
We love Aunt Jasmin!  

I don't really remember what we did on Monday except that we went thrift store shopping for ugly Christmas sweaters and Uncle Josh came later that evening. We let the kids stay up so they could greet him. On Tuesday we headed out to Jordan Creek, a really big mall, and did some shopping. We also went out to eat at Macaroni Grill. YUMMY! Wednesday we had family pictures scheduled, the photographer was a little weird but overall the pictures turned out good. Here we are waiting to view the pictures.
After pictures we went to get lunch at Chipotle. I love the burritos there and the kids love the quesadillas (but they love quesadillas anywhere!)
Kobe and Lily wanted to sit on the tall stools by Grandpa.  After we finished lunch we saw this guy just sitting around. The kids had to say "Hi."

 We couldn't leave the mall without riding on the Christmas train. Kobe remembered it from last year.
 He bought the tickets by himself (with money from Uncle Josh).

 Waiting patiently.
Lily was too small to sit on this by herself last year so she had to watch from the sideline, this year she was excited to join in the fun!

Thanksgiving Day was a great holiday.  It was my first year cooking Thanksgiving dinner and my first time ever cooking a turkey. I was a little nervous about how it would go, but everything turned out great.  The turkey was moist and everything was hot and ready right on time.  It was also Justin's first time carving a turkey. He did a fabulous job which means he is now officially a man! 

As I was busy in the kitchen Kobe saw Justin had put on a button up shirt so he decided he needed to dress up for this special day.  He told me he needed to put on his church clothes.  I told him what he was wearing was fine but he disagreed.  He went upstairs put on his nice pants and came downstairs and had me put on his belt.  Next he came down with his pink dress shirt on and asked me to button it.  He had Grandpa find his jacket and then he put his tie on himself. And he didn't stop there!  After he was dressed he went into the bathroom wet down his hair and spiked it up with gel. He came downstairs looking so satisfied and he was ready just in time for appetizers!
Isn't he adorable?  As a mother my heart was swelling with joy for the special blessing my children are to me.  As Justin helped me in the kitchen, Kobe dressed himself for the occasion, and Lilian ran around looking like a ragamuffin because I didn't have time to get her ready, I truly felt grateful for my wonderful family. What a perfect day and I'm very glad the Hookers could be here with us.

I found the idea online to make these cute turkeys and wanted to make them for our table.  Of course I ran out of time so Justin helped to make them Thursday morning.  He did a great job!


Thanksgiving night Kobe and Lily got to open one more present from Gma and Gpa since we won't be spending Christmas with them.  They both got a fleece blanket and pillow made by Gma and a special book all about them that Gma had scrapbooked for them.

 Friday morning Josh and Jasmin both flew home :(  

After naptime the rest of us went to the Festival of Trees, It was so neat to see the decorated trees some people are so creative!
Look at this snowman!

We also went back to the mall to pick up some last minute Christmas presents and then we drove through the Jolly Holiday Lights.  It was a perfect day to kick off the Christmas season. Saturday morning we waved goodbye to Steve and Cindy as they drove back home to South Carolina.  We were so sad to see them leave. We miss all of you! We loved having everyone here and can't wait to visit Gma and Gpa Hooker at their house in March.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Hi! I've been b'lurking here for a little bit and just wanted to let you know I'm here. I got your site from my mom's, Karen (and Bill) Reid. It's Melinda! I'm so happy to see you and your family doing so well and I love the fun things you do! Feel free to b'lurk on me, too, if you want at www.1lil2lil3lildarlings.blogspot.com. (And, sidenote, I had no idea we live so relatively close - I'm in milwaukee, WI!)