Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Amish Country and Hershey PA

As we drove into Amish Country we were on the lookout for houses with clothes hung out to dry (my mom said that was one sign an Amish family lived there) and horse and buggies. One house we drove by we saw a buggy parked outside. And the stores had places outside to tie the horses up to in the parking lots. It was cool to see the buggies driving along the road.

We went to a little village called Kitchen Kettle Village. It was a fun little place but I was a little disappointed by the lack of authentic Amish stores and people there. While there were several Amish-run stores I would have preferred more. Some of my favorite places were:

The Canning Kitchen.  This store was Amish and there were a ton of canned sauces, jellies, salsas, etc. Everything they sold you could sample. I was hungry going in and not so hungry coming out! Also for just $1, courtesy of Grandma, the kids were able to decorate a gingerbread cookie!

Another store I LOVED was Village Quilts. Bret, my brother, and I walked through this store and were amazed at the beautiful quilts for sale. I really wish I knew how to quilt. There was one quilt that I wanted so bad until I looked at the price-$1500. It was a little out of my price range!

The kids really enjoyed the petting zoo and playground. Lily had to pet, touch, hold, and feed every animal.






Yes she is trying to hold a chicken. I'm surprised it didn't try to peck her to death!


After we were done at the village we really wanted to find an authentic Amish restaurant (I was surprised they didn't have one in the village) but we wanted to have enough time in Hershey so we decided to forge onward to:
This place smelled heavenly!

 The kids got pictures taken for an employee badge.

 Checking out the picture.

 Working the assembly line

 Bret was having way too much fun!

 After putting in our hours of work we were ready for fun.

 We went on a ride that showed us how it the factory worked.
 Singing cows!



 Chocolate, chocolate everywhere!


It was a fun day with not quite as much walking as we'd had in NYC and DC, thankfully! Fun times!

No comments: