A couple weeks ago Justin and I decided we wanted to visit Myrtle Beach sometime before we moved out of SC. With our busy schedule and limited funds, we decided it would be best to just go for a day trip. I was so excited to go to the beach, work on my tan, and watch Kobe play in the ocean --he loves water of any type so I knew he would love the beach. The big day came and we got up early to get things packed up, then drove three hours to the beach. It was not sunny as we had hoped, but cloudy. BUMMER!!! Oh well, we unpacked the car and got ready to play anyway. After about an hour, storm clouds rolled in and everyone else started packing up and leaving, while we stayed, hoping it wouldn't rain on our parade....but it did. After only 1 1/2 hours on the beach we had to reload the car and leave. I was so sad and didn't want to just turn around and drive another 3 hours home after all the effort we had gone through to get there, so we started driving around Myrtle Beach. We drove past all the shops and hotels that were right along the beach and decided to get a hotel room, find something to do that night, and try the beach thing again the next day.
We drove around for about an hour stopping at hotels and asking them what their rates were and if they had any rooms available. Luckily we found a hotel right on the beach with a room for a reasonable rate and even got a walk-in discount! Once we got settled into the room, we took the kids to the indoor pool while it poured rain outside. Kobe loved going up and down the steps and Lilian just lounged in a floaty thing (she loved the pool, the ocean- not so much).
Back in the room we were deciding where to go for dinner when I got a phone call. While I was on the phone Justin made an executive decision and made reservations at Medieval Times. When he told me, I was a little concerned because while it includes dinner, there is a two hour show involved. We had two tired children and I wasn't sure they would sit for that long. Boy was I wrong! Lily slept on the way there so she just sat in the carseat and on my lap the entire time. And Kobe was in a trance from the moment we walked into the castle. He loved the horses, and one time as one was trotting by, Kobe held out some of his potato to offer it to the horse, he said, "Horsey bite!" Also, every time anybody in the arena clapped he put down whatever he was eating and joined in. He cheered the entire time! We all had such a fun time, and really Justin and I truly enjoyed watching Kobe and Lilian really enjoying themselves.
Later that night we walked around to some of the shops and then went back to the hotel to go to bed. The next day we went to breakfast and then enjoyed a sun-filled day at the beach. Kobe loved the water and digging in the sand. Justin liked throwing a football into the waves and watching Kobe chase after it. Lily enjoyed napping with the breeze blowing into her carseat, and I enjoyed laying in the sun while Lily napped.
What was supposed to be a one-day budget friendly day at the beach turned into something so much more. More expensive, more time, and much more fun! I decided we had much more fun on our spontaneous mini-vacation than we ever would have had if we had tried to plan it. The kids were great and we all had a wonderful time!
No comments:
Post a Comment