Today was rotten from the moment I heard the words belted out, "Mommy, can I get out of bed?" They came at 6:01. Really? Really? Before I could rush in and hush him up, I heard Lily start her morning babble...6:01AM, that's 6:01 in the morning folks. Since it was too late to stop Kobe from waking up his sister, I settled back into bed and nestled deeper in the covers.
Just a bit of information: I am not, nor have I ever been a morning person. When I get up in the morning it is impossible for me to simply get out of bed as soon as I open my eyes. Instead I must instantly reclose my eyes and lay in bed for a minimum of 30 minutes to "talk myself into the day." Actually, I'm not talking at all, but laying there convincing myself that I will come back to this very spot, this very comfortable spot, in only 15-16 hours. Yes, I will definitely return to the very spot that cuddles me, warms me, supports me, rejuvenates me every night while I spend 8 uninterrupted kid free hours.....Until the dreaded sounds creep in and take away my peaceful slumber.
This morning that happened to be very early in the 6 o'clock hour. And like I said I was not ready to get up. When Kobe and Lilian came bouncing into my room, I told them to go play in their bedroom. Shockingly they happily obliged. I heard them dump out the food for their kitchen set and was satisfied with the fact that while I rested a little longer they would be practicing much needed homemaking skills. Now instead of having two monkeys crawling over, under and around me as I convinced my eyes to unpeel, I would have PEACE. What a fabulous way to start the day....or so I thought.
When I finally rolled myself out of my sanctuary I strolled in the kids' bedroom. I stopped and stared. Really? Really? They had emptied every last hairbow, pair of socks, set of pajamas, dress, short, shirt, pant, shoe, and crumb out of the dresser. With all the clothing from the dresser and the food from the kitchen set I couldn't see the floor. I was furious (although that would explain the fuzzy dream-like images I had of Kobe running around in a pink flowery mini-skirt)! Sure it was my own fault, I'll be the first to say it, but my own children, the fruit of my womb should know that if they're going to wake up before the sun (okay the sun was out, but only barely) Mommy will be grumpy, and trouble making should be avoided.
After some, let's be honest, much scolding and forced cleaning we got dressed and had breakfast. In all honesty, I thought that would be the end to my very bad day because after breakfast things were much better. Kobe and Lily played while I cleaned and took a shower. Lunch time came and went, no problems.
Naptime........Let's back up a little. I was invited to a baby shower for today at 1pm. Justin is out of town and since it was scheduled for right during naptime I had resolved that I wouldn't be going because my up-with-the-sun offspring would need their naps today of all days and I didn't have a babysitter to sit with them while they slept. So back to Naptime.........they went down so easily, well relatively easily, I only had to go back in three times and put Lily back in her bed. But by 12:15 Lily was snoring, and Kobe was just talking to himself.
I got on the computer, checked my email, then laid down to rest my burning eyes. All of a sudden I hear Lily laughing and talking. Really? Really? It is 12:45pm. I walk into the room to find Kobe on Lily's bed. He had climbed off the top bunk onto her bed while she was sleeping and woke her up. Again, I was furious! Having slept for 30 minutes, Lily was not about to go back to sleep, but she wasn't fully rest either. Urg! After more scolding, punishing, scolding, and punishing. I gave up on naps and decided I was going to the baby shower after all, I needed to get out of the house.
At the baby shower, which was a good chance for me to have the adult time I'd been lacking since Thursday when Justin left, Lily fell down and hit her eye on a block. Right under her eye swelled up and was bleeding out of the small gash. "Doctor Mom," as Kobe called me this morning as I put a bandaid on an old wound, came to the rescue and put some frozen corn on her eye, but it still looked nasty. On our way out to the car, later, when we were leaving, Kobe fell down and scraped both of his knees. After the day I had, and the way the kids look now with their bandaid covered bodies, people are going to think I beat my children.
When we got home we revisited the nap idea, and the kids reassured me it wasn't going to happen today. Insert tears here. So what does any good mom (or should I say any mom who is trying to stay sane) do in this situation....turn on Sesame Street and read a book. When 6:00pm rolled around (almost exactly 12 hours after this dreadful day began) we piled into the car and went to the closest McDonald's with a playplace. I hate McDonald's, but I was willing to do anything to entertain Kobe and Lilian until bedtime.
It is 9:30pm now. The kids are sleeping peacefully in the room next to me, FINALLY! I have been waiting for this moment since I first heard Kobe utter, "Mommy" in the wee hours of the morning. Now I'm going to call my honey, who I miss terribly and then I will return to my sanctuary a.k.a my bed. Good Night!
P.S. Posts from when my family was in Iowa are still to come...maybe on a day that is better than today was!
5 comments:
I'm sorry it was one of those days! It was good to see you today anyway :) Get some rest!
That is terrible!!! Oh my heck! I am so sorry! I couldn't help but laugh, not at you of course but only because, I kept thinking,"okay its going to get better" and then one thing after another!What a terrible day! get some good rest and I hope (and Pray) for your sake that it is a 100 times better tomorrow!
Oh I've had many of those days and they are definitely NOT fun. Sorry you had to experience one. Thankfully they don't come every day.
Wow what a day! I'm so sorry, especially since it happened when your hubby wasn't home!
I loved your account of that day! I totally lived it with you - you're a good writer. Can you write my days so that they sound funny like that instead of crazy like they are?
Post a Comment