My family came to visit us all the way from Utah. Sixteen bodies stuffed inside two vans for 18 hours. Believe me, I understood the sacrifice made to trek across Wyoming and Nebraska, we've done it twice now. Besides being glued to the person or carseat next to them, they had to endure driving through the most desolate states in the country (in my opinion) not a tree or flower to be seen from Rawlins to Omaha.
After being in the car since 5:30am, they finally exited the Interstate they had not strayed from all day- minus gas stops and potty breaks- only to take a wrong turn, ending up on some mysterious Jackson Street. Since neither of us had any clue where they were, Justin and I were very little help getting them out of their miserable situation (9 adults + 7 children + it being 1:30am + 18 hours in the car = miserable situation) until they were able to find a main street we had heard of. Justin stayed on the phone with them and guided them to our house. I ran outside.
As I waited on our front porch for the caravan of vans to come into view, I felt like I used to when my grandparents were coming to visit. Giddy. I saw the headlights and ran to the street and waved them down, THEY MADE IT!!!! Alive, Tired, and just a little Stinky (just kidding on that last one, kinda!).
Over the next week we had a fabulous time going to Union Park to swim and ride the carousel, watching a riveting match of ping pong, visiting the Science Center, celebrating my nieces 2nd birthday,and going to Nauvoo. There will be posts to come on some of those events!
It meant so much to us for all of them to take time off of work, and away from callings to visit us in hot, humid Iowa where we were able to show them our new stomping grounds. We had so much fun and great memories were definitely made! We missed the few family members that weren't able to make it (Ron, VaLynn & kids, Dennis, and Bret), hopefully you all will be able to visit another time. We were all so sad to watch everyone leave, but look forward to everyone coming to visit again! You guys are welcome anytime!
1 comment:
How exciting that is wonderful . Family is everything cant wait to see your pictures
Post a Comment